When your body must be present, but your mind isn't engaged...
- Waiting in line at the bank or shopping
- Waiting for a ride
- Travelling on a bus, train or plane
- Slogging through traffic while driving to work, running errands or on a road trip
- Showering, shaving, putting on makeup and generally getting ready for your day
- Doing household chores or yard work
- Cooking or cleaning up after the meal
Say "No" to YouTube, TikTok, Facebook and other algorithm-driven time wasters.
|Who's in charge: A mindless algorithm or your own conscious choices?|
Say "Yes" to your podcasts & your content stream on your schedule.
- You can pause them when you need to switch your attention to your otherwise boring chore and then pick them up later.
- If you miss something because your chore needs you for a few minutes, you can easily "rewind" the podcast and go back and repeat what you missed.
- You can listen to them at high speed, without chipmunk voices, but with the pauses and spaces squeezed out. (See the settings in your podcast player or this on Google Podcasts' "Podcast Controls" from PC Mag, for details.)
- You can save them for later and even binge listen to a whole series you may have missed.
- With today's smart speakers (Google Home, Amazon Echo, etc.) you can do all of the above completely hands free while you move around your house.
- Using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay you can start or continue listening to your Google Podcasts (and most other podcast apps) while you drive.
How to Get Started
- Get the Google Podcasts app. It's easy to use, it's free and it leverages Google's powerful search capabilities to unearth all kinds of brilliant and crazy podcasts. Get it here:
- Google Podcasts at the Google Play store (Android devices)
- Google Podcasts at the Apple App store (iOS devices)
(Note: Most podcasts are free and supported by ads. Rarely, I'm told, a podcast is only available behind a paywall. I can't confirm that, since I've never paid for a podcast. Re: ads... it's easy to fast forward through the ads if they are obnoxious.)
For your consideration: That's a actually a podcast?!?
|Podcasts: Plenty of topics to choose from...|
- Terrible Lizards "Terrible Lizards is a podcast about Dinosaurs..."
- The joe gardener Show - Organic Gardening - Vegetable Gardening
- Tackle Talk - Bass Fishing Podcast
- This Week in Space (Audio) ["covers the new space age."]
- History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
- RV Miles Podcast - ["... the RV camping lifestyle..."]
- MuggleCast: the Harry Potter podcast
- Practical AI: Machine Learning, Data Science
- Headbanger's Rock Show
- Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast
- The Offshore Wind Podcast
- Women's Voices ["...current events/interviews with women's rights activists."]
A Few of My Favorite Podcasts
- Up First from NPR - Provides context for major news you'll hear about later in the day
- NPR News Now - A quick, 5 minute summary of the latest news, updated hourly, 24/7
- This Week in Google (Audio) A huge, rambling discussion (2 - 3 hours!) about Google and all things related to the web and smart home with Leo Laporte and my favorite feisty tech geeks
- Marketplace - An interesting daily summary of business & marketplace news for regular people
- Left, Right & Center - A balanced analysis/debate of the week's top political topics
- PBS Newshour - Segments - A collection of brief, individual segments (audio only) from PBS' nightly Newshour [Also available: PBS NewsHour - Full Show]
- This Week in Tech (Audio) "... top tech journalists and pundits in a roundtable discussion of the latest trends in tech."
- The Audio Long Read "... a selection of the Guardian’s long reads... including in-depth writing from around the world on immigration, crime, business, the arts and much more."
- Marketplace Tech "... demystifies the digital economy in less than 10 minutes."
- On the Media "... [This] Peabody Award-winning... podcast is your guide to examining how the media sausage is made."
- The Good News Podcast "... your thrice weekly reminder that not all news is bad."
- The New Yorker Radio Hour "... The New Yorker’s award-winning writers, editors and artists ... present a weekly mix of profiles, storytelling, and insightful conversations about the issues that matter."
Actually, just about everybody's got a podcast!
- 6 Podcasts to Help You Become an Amateur Tech Geek
- Ten Podcasts that Can Challenge You, Irritate You & Deepen Your Understanding of Current Events
- From the Archives: The Inspired Project Teams Coaching Guide (58-pages & 5 hours of audio, NOW FREE!) -- (Also at Internet Archive here.)
- Replacing Google Play Music: How I Store & Stream 22 GB of My Own Music (MP3s) for a One-Time Cost of $7.99
- Is your video streaming tap leaking money? Here's a 4-step strategy for taking control.
- Get award-winning movies & TV shows, audio books, graphic novels, & ebooks FREE (no ads!) from your local library.
- Music to Get Lost In: A Brief Introduction to Jam Bands
Bonus Fun Fact:
|Thanks, DALL-E! |