|(Images above generated using AI tools Dall-E & ToonArt)
If you're like me, you may be finding that nearly every news story about AI (artificial intelligence) assumes that we already know something about it. I find myself continually feeling like I'm being pulled into the middle of a robust, ongoing conversation. And that drives me nuts! As a former instructional designer and trainer, I know if I'm going to intelligently assimilate this stuff I need to approach it in a systematic way, starting with the basics. So, in the spirit of scratching my own itch, I have combed through bunches of AI-oriented YouTube videos and created a sensibly-sequenced video study guide. And I hereby share it with you!
Think of this as a road map. In it you'll find a selection of relatively brief videos and related reference links that you can follow, as an absolute AI newbie, to build your knowledge of the subject and answer these broad questions:
1. What is AI (basic definitions, distinctions, etc)
2. How are people using AI? (Including some examples and links to sample tools you can play with)
3. What are the controversial issues related to AI that we need to know about in order to:
- "see behind the curtain" regarding how AI is entering our lives,
- control how we use AI and where we let it into our lives, and
- raise our voices (in an informed way) to help policy makers figure out a path forward for AI in our society.
Note: These resources are not intended to help you become an AI programmer or developer or other AI professional, though they might inspire you to pursue such a path on your own. I'm assuming that you simply want answers to the questions above so you can become an informed consumer of AI outputs.
The Basics: What is AI?
What is artificial intelligence (AI)? "This animated video describes how artificial intelligence works, where it can be found, and how it influences our lives."
How AI works in everyday life - More practical ways AI helps people in daily life.
Some Popular AI Tools & How People are Using Them
- ChatGPT (the AI tool that everyone's talking about!)
- DALL-E (the AI tool that creates art from your text descriptions)
- Bard (Google's "creative and helpful collaborator")
- 35 Ways Real People Are Using A.I. Right Now
- How to Use Midjourney to Create AI Art
- Google’s AI music generator is like ChatGPT for audio
- 20 Best Free AI Tools Online for Your Business or Personal Use
- 25 Cool AI Tools That Are Fun To Try Online in 2023
- The best AI productivity tools in 2023
- 7 Ways to Use ChatGPT at Work to Boost Your Productivity, Make Your Job Easier, and Save a Ton of Time
- New Smart Glasses Tell You What to Say on Dates Using GPT-4
AI Hopes & Fears: What Citizens & Lawmakers Should be Thinking About
- Here's how experts see AI developing over the coming years
- How should AI systems behave, and who should decide?
- Yes, Machines Make Mistakes: The 10 Biggest Flaws In Generative AI
- The Hacking of ChatGPT Is Just Getting Started
- Elon Musk, who co-founded firm behind ChatGPT, warns A.I. is 'one of the biggest risks' to civilization
- ChaosGPT is the first public attempt to destroy humanity with AI
- An AI Program Is Currently Trying To Destroy Humanity. It Has Access To The Internet.
- Bill Gates predicts A.I. will change the world more and faster than his personal computing revolution
- What is Auto-GPT and why are hustle bros hype for it?
- GPT-4 tried to escape into the internet today and it ‘almost worked’
- Machine Learning Expert Calls for Bombing Data Centers to Stop Rise of AI
- The dark side of ChatGPT: things it can do, even though it shouldn’t
- ChatGPT's intelligence is zero, but it's a revolution in usefulness, says AI expert
- Predicting “Black Swan” Disasters With AI Combining AI with Bayesian reasoning can help forecast events without a historical track record to analyze
- A.I. tools such as ChatGPT are the hottest new trend for companies, but experts urge caution
- Chinese Company Ditches Human Creatives for ChatGPT-Style AI
- Stability AI's New 'XL' Is a Super Powered Deepfake Generator for Businesses
- AI Doesn’t Need Consciousness to be Frightening
- Sam Altman: Size of LLMs won’t matter as much moving forward
- Worried About AI? The Feds Want Your Help Writing Rules to Keep It in Check